Greater Peoria Sanitary District
2322 S. Darst Street Peoria, IL 61607

Sewer Repairs

SANITARY SEWER REPAIRS – Information for Property Owners

Who is responsible for sanitary sewer repairs?


The Greater Peoria Sanitary District (GPSD) maintains 716 miles of public sanitary sewers within the corporate limits of the District.

Wastewater leaves residences and other buildings through 4-inch and 6-inch diameter building sewers. These building sewers are owned by the property owner to the point of connection with the publicly owned sewer. Maintenance and repair of the building sewer is the responsibility of the individual property owner. This includes both the portion on private property and the portion located beneath the public right-of-way (sidewalks and streets). The Sanitary District does have drawings of the location of many of the building sewers throughout the District. You may contact the District’s Planning and Construction Department at (309)637-3511 ext. 4844 or (309)272-4844 about the availability of a particular drawing.

How do I find out where the problem is?


When a sanitary sewer system emergency occurs, including backup of wastewater into a home, it is not usually obvious whether the problem is in the building sewer or the public sanitary sewer. When a sewer system emergency occurs, please call GPSD before calling a plumbing contractor. Use the following procedures for prompt resolution of the problem.

Normal Business Hours

Monday through Friday

8:00 a.m. till 4:30 p.m.

During normal business hours you should call (309)637-3511 and dial extension 4844 or (309)272-4844 to reach the Planning and Construction Department. The person answering the phone will take information about your emergency and give the information to the person that can properly handle the situation. If you reach the voicemail system, you can choose to leave a message, or you can dial 0 for the operator.

After Hours, Weekends, and Holidays

When the office is closed, the Sanitary District continues to have a supervisor on-call 24 hours a day to respond to emergencies. You should call 637-3511 and follow all of the instructions of the automated answering system or call (309)272-4854. Please leave your information and a supervisor will return your call.

The District will respond immediately to the property owner’s call, at no cost to the property owner, and inspect the public sanitary sewer that serves the property. If a problem is found within the public sanitary sewer, it will be repaired as soon as possible. If the public sanitary sewer is found to be clear, the property owner will be informed that the problem is probably located in the building sewer. In this case, the property owner is responsible for maintenance or repair.

CAUTION: When trying to locate a sewer problem, never open manholes or other GPSD structures. Due to potential hazards, only GPSD personnel are authorized to open and inspect these structures.

How do I proceed with a building sewer problem?

If the problem is found to be within the building sewer, the property owner can hire a licensed and bonded contractor to make repairs or, if properly equipped, can make repairs themselves. Plumbing contractors are listed in the yellow pages of the phone book. If you plan to hire a contractor, the District recommends getting estimates from more than one company. All repair work must be done by a contractor that is licensed and bonded by the District.

All repair work must be inspected by the District. This inspection is at no cost. The District can be contacted at (309)637-3511 ext. 4844 or (309)272-4844 during normal business hours to schedule an inspection.

Note: For a new building sewer, click on “New Connections.”

How can I avoid damage to other utilities?

When digging to make sewer repairs, it is very important to know where other utilities are located so that damage can be prevented. Before digging call JULIE toll free at (800) 892-0123. All underground utilities will mark their lines free of charge.

What permits are required for repairs in a street?

If a building sewer repair involves digging in a street or other public right-of-way, a permit from the local municipality will be required. Call your city or village for information.

Village of Bartonville 633-2054

Village of Bellevue – 697-4808

City of Peoria – 494-8807

Village of Peoria Heights – 686-2375

City of West Peoria – 674-1993

County of Peoria – 697-6400